Estate Taxation for Non-US Residents

Unlike US citizens and permanent residents of the US, the non-residents or “resident aliens” have their status based on their duration of physical presence in the United States in any given year.

Different treaties with other countries may help determine how your estate and income in the US is taxed.

US estate tax applies to resident aliens and US citizens in a similar manner. Both have the full applicable exclusion amount available, of $11,180,000 of indexed assets.

Deductions are generally available in the same manner, with exception of marital deduction.

Commonly held Visa types:

– P = used for professional athletes  artists, entertainers (temporary visa, income earned is taxed according to country of origin)

– H-1B = person in specialty occupation (requires higher degree or equivalent  temporary visa)

For more info, contact the LifeGuy.


(Note: we don’t provide tax advice, contact your CPA or accountant for more TAX info).






Author: LifeGuy

Daniel LifeGuy Dragan has 125 posts in this blog.

Daniel is a dedicated insurance expert with a focus on helping individuals, families and small businesses avoid financial disasters with Life Insurance products, Paycheck Protection (Disability Insurance), Retirement planning, Cancer and Critical Illness Insurance, executive and business protection plans. With his comprehensive knowledge and experience in financial protection, Daniel can help save money as well as get all your insurance premiums returned to you if you didn't use any of the benefits. "Return of Premium" insurance is one of Daniel's strengths and along with his personal approach to his customers' needs, one of the main reasons his clients are referring him to friends, family and business partners. Daniel offers free financial consultations and can be reached by email at or phone: (239) LIFE-GUY or 239-466-4466