Adult children responsible to pay for parents’ care? YES – in many states you are legally responsible to support the long-term care costs for your parents

At one point, 45 states in the U.S. had filial responsibility laws, now 30 states continue to keep children responsible for the care of their parents, and there is legal precedent of a nursing home filing lawsuit against the son of a patient, where the Court ruled that the son must pay, according to the filial law.

Don’t get caught in the filial law debt 


Get Long-Term Care Insurance for your parents

The filial responsibility laws will obligate the adult children (or depending on the state, potentially other family members) to pay for their parents’/ relatives’  food, clothing, shelter, health and medical needs. If the children fail to provide for these costs in an adequate manner, the states allow nursing homes and government agencies (Medicare and Medicaid, etc) to bring legal action to recover the cost of caring for the parents. Adult children can even go to jail in some states if they fail to provide filial support. The simple solution is LONG-TERM CARE insurance. Call 239-LIFE-GUY to inquire about LTC for your parents.


Author: LifeGuy

Daniel LifeGuy Dragan has 125 posts in this blog.

Daniel is a dedicated insurance expert with a focus on helping individuals, families and small businesses avoid financial disasters with Life Insurance products, Paycheck Protection (Disability Insurance), Retirement planning, Cancer and Critical Illness Insurance, executive and business protection plans. With his comprehensive knowledge and experience in financial protection, Daniel can help save money as well as get all your insurance premiums returned to you if you didn't use any of the benefits. "Return of Premium" insurance is one of Daniel's strengths and along with his personal approach to his customers' needs, one of the main reasons his clients are referring him to friends, family and business partners. Daniel offers free financial consultations and can be reached by email at or phone: (239) LIFE-GUY or 239-466-4466

Full Name: